Monday 28 December 2009

In Bruges

I visited this remarkably beautiful city sometime in the 1980's with my parents. We did all the tourist type things, canal trip, waffles, sightseeing the Gothic buildings etc, and yet much like Ray's character in the film, it bored the absolute arse off me.

The film in my view, is one of the best of the decade, combining pathos, humour, drama and so on all wrapped up in a script that crackles and fizzes with excitement. Martin McDonagh deserves high praise for giving each of the central characters that 'humanity' which is often lacking in theses types of film.

Now, as an adult, I would very much like to return to Bruges, this time with my own family and see whether like me then, they find it their own version of hell, or like me now, a delightful, enigmatic and charming place to be in.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Britaine: United Kingdom's search engine