Tuesday 22 December 2009

It's A Wonderful Life

It's around this time of year we sit down and watch the film which has so much to say about love, missed opportunities, sacrifice and redemption.

I don't think it was made intentionally to necessarily reflect any religious or spiritual significance. For me it makes a simple statement and one which remains the best piece of advice I have ever received.

Years ago my father made the comment that 'very few people in this life give a damn about you'. I didn't quite understand the gravitas or significance of this at the time, being an inward looking, selfish and self loathing adolescent.

Over the years however, I have distilled his advice into this simple equation.

There are radiators and there are drains; the former give out warmth, comfort and succour, the latter suck the life out of you, leaving you empty and exhausted.

The solution is to recognise and embrace the radiators and avoid the drains.

Give me flawed people who give a damn any day over seemingly 'perfect' but detached ones.

Earth needs more George Baileys...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn right you are! :)

26 December 2009 at 21:07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Britaine: United Kingdom's search engine