Monday 4 January 2010

What goes up, must come down...

Perhaps the most ridiculous building in the world is having its official opening this week in Dubai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8439618.stm

At 2625ft tall, the Burj Dubai is just 170 ft shorter than Northern Ireland's highest mountain, Slieve Donard.

I know which one I'd rather be on top of in the event of an earthquake.

The 'human spiderman', Alain Robert, is likely to attempt to climb the building sooner or later. I fear it may be one too many for him however. There seems to be little to grasp onto on this needle like structure and with it being an area prone to strong winds, I thing the poor guy has little to prove.

Engineering feats aside, I fail to understand the need for another tower of Babel, given Dubai's well publicised financial difficulties.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Britaine: United Kingdom's search engine